Friday 2 May 2014

Happy Birthday, Kiara

The Kolkata night dividing 1st and 2nd May eight years ago was sweltering. As my Parents and Sister slept a light sleep, I stayed up all night, catering to a pregnant female who was due any time now.

And at 3.45 AM sharp, on 2nd May 2006, my job as a midwife began, lasting for five hours, as Kuttush popped out five miniatures on my palms, which I held cupped between her hind legs, as my Mother tended to the Babies, wiping away the placenta and washing them in hot water and Dettol, and to Kuttush, cutting the umbilical cords with sterilized blades. My Father and Sister mostly jumped around with joy.

As Kiara turns eight today, I sense Kuttush's lingering presence beside me, looking at my Daughter and saying: "Well, this one isn't turning out too bad either. But thanks for taking such good care of my Little One, Bro."

Happy Birthday, Kiara. All the love in the world for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment